logo selfpublishingguru.com

topic : Is character driven fiction more successful than plot driven fiction? I have heard that editors and publishers prefer character driven fiction, where the characters grow and learn, rather than

Gail2416123 @Gail2416123

Posted in: #CharacterDevelopment #Novel

I have heard that editors and publishers prefer character driven fiction, where the characters grow and learn, rather than plot driven ones. Is there any truth to this?

Edit:
In response to comments: The reason for asking this question was, because I have read far too many articles by "Professor" types who shouted loudly that if you want to be successful, spend a lot of time on character development. I wanted to be sure if there was any truth to this, or is this a "fact" that became true by constant repetition?

10.02% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (2) Report

2 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

@Turnbaugh521

Turnbaugh521 @Turnbaugh521

I think in the past, publishers tended to stick with character driven works because those were the ones that ended up winning the awards and garnering attention. However, when you look at sheer volume in sales, those weren't always at the top.

I also believe that today's readers are looking for more from their books. There's no doubt that they want to be able to relate to the characters, but they definitely want there to be some kind of action going on. If the characters aren't involved in doing something meaningful or adventurous, then you start to lose your readers.

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

@Cugini967

Cugini967 @Cugini967

I'm inclined to say no, in that any answer will depend entirely on the genre that you're writing in.

In some genres, such as techno-thrillers, many mysteries, and many subgenres of SF, plot-driven stories are the norm, and character development is allowed to be minimal. In other genres, especially literary fiction, character-driven stories are the norm, and a heavily plotted story may actually be looked down on. This depends entirely on the expectations of your audience, and any editor worth his salt knows this.

That being said, even if you're writing in a very plot-heavy genre, your book will rarely suffer if you spend a little more time to develop the characters and maybe throw in some personal growth.

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

SelfPubGuruLearn self publishing
Back to top | Use Dark Theme