bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How do I stop my writing sounding like a bad imitation of whatever author I've just been reading? I like to read across a variety of authors, genres, and publication dates. Whenever I sit - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

This isn't a problem. Just go with the flow. Finish whatever you are writing. If necessary put it aside, then come back later to revise and edit it. Whatever writing style(s) you were mimicking will have faded from your brain. Now make the form of the words your own.

Alternatively, deliberately try to imitate the styles of your favourite writers. You will discover that somehow someone else's style of writing will emerge from doing this. Strangely enough, this someone else will turn out to be yourself and your own style. Almost every writer goes through this stage. The more you write the more you will write like yourself.

Deliberate imitation will alert your brain to when you are inadvertently copying another writer's style. It's a good way to learn how to write better. You're simply trying out different ways of finding out how to write like yourself.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Karen856

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best