bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Do all main characters require equal development? I have been doing some work on character development for my novel. I found that though I can write pages about the main character, other characters, - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I agree with Craig Sefton that your characters need to be more than flat, but I'm a little worried about your "only get a small paragraph" line.

It's important that your characters be rich and vibrant, but it's also important that we learn about them through their actions, NOT through you telling us about them. If your 'small paragraph' is in your notes, that's fine, but if it's in your actual story, I would say that a small paragraph is actually more than you need, in terms of introducing a character. Most of the characterization should be spread throughout your story, not dumped on us all at once.

If that's not what you meant by 'small paragraph', then I'm with Craig. Flat characters are fine if they're incidental, but if your MC interacts with them, your story will be much more interesting if you give them more depth.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Reiling826

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best