logo selfpublishingguru.com

topic : Do I need permission to name organizations in a non-fiction book? I am self-publishing a dog photography book. I have obtained permissions for all subjects in the book. One of the pictures I

Ogunnowo420 @Ogunnowo420

Posted in: #Artwork #Copyright #NonFiction #SelfPublishing

I am self-publishing a dog photography book. I have obtained permissions for all subjects in the book. One of the pictures I am using has the American Kennel Club (AKC) logo in it. I'm assuming I need to get AKC's permission to use an image with their logo. Is this correct? Also do I need to get their permission to use their organization name in the book, for example, "Here we have AKC Champion (dog name) performing at the AKC show locating in (city)." Since I'm just stating facts I'm assuming I don't need to get their permission to use their organization name in the book? Thanks.

10.02% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (2) Report

2 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

@Courtney562

Courtney562 @Courtney562

To reproduce photographs, you would need the permission of the copyright holder. This is likely to be held by the photographer or by the organisation who commissioned the shoot.

Since the picture you have in mind has an AKC logo on it, it's almost certain that they are the copyright holder - or that they would be able to tell you who was. Be careful here - if they are the copyright holder, publishing without their logo being clearly visible is likely to cause much more legal trouble than publishing with the logo.

[Edit : When I answered this, I'd assumed the logo had been specifically added by the club. If it was just something in the background of the picture, my initial concern in the paragraph above goes away.]

I'm with robertcday - contacting them sounds like the best solution. They will be able to advise whether they are the copyright holder, whether permission has been granted with or without the logo (get this in writing), and whether an additional comment - for example "Image copyright American Kennel Club" or a description involving their name and the event is required or excluded.

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

@Dunderdale623

Dunderdale623 @Dunderdale623

Since all aspects of your question seem to relate to the American Kennel Club (AKC) I would suggest that you would be well served by asking the AKC itself for permission or information about their attitudes to what you are proposing.

An easy-to-use AKC Contact Page is available on the internet.

I hope this enables you to find the information you seek.

Good luck with your book.

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

SelfPubGuruLearn self publishing
Back to top | Use Dark Theme