bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Should I list upcoming publications in a short story cover letter? I recently published my first short story in an anthology, and have somehow managed to get another in an upcoming issue of - selfpublishingguru.com

10.01% popularity

I recently published my first short story in an anthology, and have somehow managed to get another in an upcoming issue of a magazine (contract signed and everything). Finally, I no longer have a gaping hole in my cover letter where publishing history would normally go.

The first publishing credit seems pretty lonely on its own, though. Can I just go ahead and list the upcoming piece in my next cover letter, too? For example, "I have been published in X anthology and have an upcoming piece in Y magazine"? Or would that seem presumptuous?

Load Full (1)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Turnbaugh521

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

It's absolutely fine, and quite correct!

It gives the editor very helpful information -- namely, that two different venues have decided to publish your work (and, which, which can sometimes be a helpful indication of strengths and style).

If you know when your story is slated to see print, that's worth mentioning -- easier to confirm and check up on -- but it's not a problem if you don't have that.

At this stage of your experience, listing accomplishments is precisely what a cover letter is for. And having sold two stories, not just one, is absolutely an accomplishment -- so kudos, carry on, and all the best!

Load Full (0)