bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How can I make a story bigger? I have written a first draft of what I want to be a novel -- aiming for 50-70K words. When the ending arrived I was at about 30K. So I essentially have - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Even at 50k-70k words, you would still have a pretty short novel in your hands and there is nothing wrong with that. If your novel is 30k words of pure literary bliss, adding anything to it is probably going to be a step backward. If it still needs work, you have to ask yourself whether it's because of the length, because it probably isn't.

My best suggestion is to have somebody (or multiple somebodies if possible) that you trust to read it over. Have them tell you what confused them, what they would have liked to see more of and, of course, what they didn't like. This is will be the best places to fill in the gaps (or maybe cut, if that's the best way to fix the issue).

I wouldn't worry about the length as you start your next novel. Hopefully, the length that is appropriate will become evident as you work your way through it.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Shanna875

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best