logo selfpublishingguru.com

topic : Can I include a short biography of the person to whom my book is dedicated? I am writing a non-fiction, somewhat historic, book and I want to dedicate it to a person who did pioneer work

Jamie945 @Jamie945

Posted in: #Appendix #Biography #Book #Formatting

I am writing a non-fiction, somewhat historic, book and I want to dedicate it to a person who did pioneer work on Education in Science in Brazil. She has
passed away recently and was professionally related to one of the main
characters in my book; a famous scientist. Many years ago, she worked in
the high school where I studied and even invited that scientist to give a
informal talk to us students.

Since she is not well known, I wanted to write a short biography of her
and include it in the backmatter (bibliography/index/appendix) of the book. Is this appropriate?

10.02% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (2) Report

2 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

@Hamaas631

Hamaas631 @Hamaas631

It sounds like you want to introduce your readers to one of your inspirations (since you said this person is connected to one of the characters in your book). This is sometimes done in a preface, as opposed to in the backmatter, and can help "set the stage" for the work that follows. An author's preface of a page or two is fairly common, though of course your publisher has the final say.

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

@Gonzalez219

Gonzalez219 @Gonzalez219

That is probably up to an editor or publisher. If by "short" you mean a few paragraphs that won't cost them printing any extra pages, it is possible they will not object. But they are profit driven and this biography does not serve the story or earn them anything, so if it is also going to cost them money, they may refuse to include it.

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

SelfPubGuruLearn self publishing
Back to top | Use Dark Theme