bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How do I know if a concept is sexist or not? In my story's world, witchcraft is a respected institution, with the most powerful practitioners being at the top echelons of society. Due to this, - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

No, this will not be sexist. You made clear that women (witches) are very high-standing personae in your society - and not through their sexual prowess or beauty, but simply by the fact that your universe functions as it does. Having gender differences between magic users is a common trope in Fantasy, so there's nothing special about that.

May the topic be off-putting to females due to awaking unpleasant associations? Maybe, depending on how graphical your depiction of the birth of an ethereal is - and I see no particular reason why you have to actually describe that process at all, so it's easy to stay clear of that. Can you make your book sexist? Sure, if you really degrade your women in some fashion. But I see no hint that you are intending to do that.

To answer your main title question, "How do I know if a concept is sexist" - simply look at your intention. If you wish to paint one of your genders as small, insignificant, overly archetypical (i.e., the trope of the blonde big-bosomed beauty on a remote planet in the early Star Trek episodes), reduce them to their sexuality, give them mostly negative connotations (i.e., weak, stupid, ...), then that's sexist.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Samaraweera193

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best