bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How would I be mean to my character? My book is about a boy who wants to run away from home, and while writing a plan to run away from home he discovers all the reasons that he should - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Is the goal for your character to just plan to run away, or to run away and then realize it was a mistake and return home?

Making your character suffer can be fun, and it can help them grow, but be careful about making them suffer too much. If everything goes wrong, it can be really demoralizing, and it might seem unrealistic for your character to continue on when everything that CAN go wrong DOES.

My best idea would be to figure out why does your character think [other location] is better than [home]? Find those reasons, and twist them. Maybe your MC's home is a small town and MC wants to run away to the city because he thinks city life is exciting. And then he discovers--it's too exciting. There's too much noise, he might get robbed, all the potential drawbacks that would make him suffer and make him realize that he prefers his home.

Just be careful about making your MC suffer too much. He has to have a reason to keep going.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Speyer920

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best