bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Does dialogue need to be accurate to the setting? I am currently writing a story that is set in pre-WWI USA/America. I do not mind conducting research about the locations and the time. I - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Generally speaking, yes. However, it may not be always doable.

There are many literary examples from the turn of XX century USA. A writer usually studies these examples and tries to emulate them. Actually, after reading a lot of period writing, this may even come naturally.

But if we dig deeper into the history, not only amount of writing gets smaller, modern reader would have a difficulty understanding that writing. So what authors usually do is creating a "period mix" where vocabulary is mostly modern, but peppered to some extent with period words, and an accent which is thought to be prevailing in that era is conveyed in writing.

There are some things to consider when designing this "period mix".

Avoid factual anachronisms. Pre-WWI people would not refer to the public figures, brands and buildings that were become known only later. Sounds simple, but a surprisingly big number of period writers do this mistake;
Avoid linguistic anachronisms. Pre-WWI person would not say "Hey, dude, where have you been?" and neither "Where hast thou wandered?"
Don't overdo period vocabulary and accent. It may become a harder reading.

Good luck!

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Hamaas631

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best