bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Speaking as a professor (with a PhD), I would introduce myself, to a friend of a friend, by my first name. As an aside, a saleswoman should not be introduced as "a colleague" in - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Speaking as a professor (with a PhD), I would introduce myself, to a friend of a friend, by my first name. As an aside, a saleswoman should not be introduced as "a colleague" in a university setting, a colleague is somebody of similar rank, and in this setting implies a PhD. That is certainly what I think when anybody is introduced as "a colleague." Susan should introduce her as a "friend". Also, unless this is a VERY small college, it has multiple professors of physics, so "I am THE professor of physics" is inappropriate, "I am A professor physics" is what he would say. If you want some prestige, make him "THE Department Head", that is singular and suggests experience and seniority (without being so high up that he is more managerial / administrative than practical).

"Hi Emily, I'm Alfred. Dr. Miller if we are being formal."
"Oh, are you a teacher here?"
"I'm the Physics Department Head, that takes up most of my time so I'm exempt from teaching classes, but I do have three students working on my research projects. What has you two wandering the halls?"

Something like that.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Mendez196

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best