bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Is it possible to use the word "it" too much? I'm describing a creature in my story, and I'm worried I'm using the word "it" too much. Is there a substitute I can use for the word? Can - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Those are correct applications of the word "it" as "it" is normally the pronoun used for creatures that are not yet gendered (though I would say if you intend to show that the vicious monster is really a Mama Bear protecting her eggs, I would creatively dodge pronouns until you reveal the twist. Because now the creature has a gender and needs her pronouns. This is more consistency than any hard rule).

And believe me, I understand the struggle of using it way to much. I once wrote a short story about a monster that was so fearsome that there was no real word to describe the thing. The villagers who were menaced by the beast refereed to it as "It" because they had no better words (the twist of this story was that the story is that the villagers were not adults, but kids who were imagining themselves in adult roles during their playground antics... and the monster was literally It... as in "Tag, You're It".). You have no idea how frustrating keeping your Its in check when your pronoun is also your proper noun.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @LarsenBagley300

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best