bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: In what order should I name characters? I was wondering if there is a rule or advice in which order to name my characters. For example, if I want to tell that Bob, John and Rob entered - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

First of all, if you say "bob, john and rob entered the room" you should keep that order later. It's better to not mix name ordrer. For example, in Harry Potter, it's always "Harry, Ron and Hermione".

However, it's not a strict rule and if you want to change the name order, you can. Just make sure to have a good reason for that because it might confus the reader.

Now that you know to keep the same order, you just have to figure out what this order must be the first time. There are several rule to consider:

Who is the main character? This order often (always?) start with the main character.
Who was introduce first ? In Harry Potter, Ron is introduce before Hermione. So, at the begining, you have "Harry and Ron" and, when Hermione join the club, you have "Harry, Ron and Hermione".
If the character are all introduce at the same time, list them by order of importance.
If the importance is the same between character, you can just list them alphabetically.
Make sure to respect the 'group of characters'. In Harry Potter, "Fred and George" are always together. So, if you have a longuer list of characters, make sure to keep them together in your longuer list. For example : "Harry, Ron, Fred, George and Ginny".

Finally, the most important point is for you to be confortable with the order you choose.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Lengel543

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best