bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Translating worldbuilding into an interesting opening I've once heard there are 2 types of writers, and I am definitively an architect. I can write down a few hundred pages of worldbuilding and - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

A related question: How to open a novel?

It sounds like your prologue opens in medias res - in the middle of the action. You already have orcs marching, preparing to fight. Since, in terms of plot, that's the starting point you've chosen for your story, it makes sense that the atmosphere of the scene should match it: how the prologue story is told should match what is being told.

How do you place the reader directly in the combat atmosphere? Place them right there: in the orc chieftain's internal monologue, or in the dust of marching boots, or similar. From there, you can draw back a bit to explain the setting, but be careful not to draw so far back that you lose the tension of what you're telling.

When you start with a peaceful description of "eagle flying over woods, one small fortress", you are creating a peaceful image. There's a dissonance between that image, and the drama of the marching orcs. Such dissonance can be used, if its serves your purpose. However, when you have a peaceful image, and something breaking the peace, you are likely to create a sense of alienation from the peace-breaking force. This does not serve your purpose here - you want the reader to sympathise with the orc chieftain, not the fortress being attacked by him.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Dunderdale623

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best