bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How to improve a scene where the drama is one-sided and not with the POV character? I have a scene I struggle with: it has potential for inherent drama, but it reads as an info dump. In - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Sometimes the drama doesn't have to lie with the POV character, and in addition, it presents an opportunity to deftly show, and not tell. All of the upheaval and anger and confusion that one can easily see via a POV character's internal thoughts on the page are now absent.

Telling is no longer an option, so you have to instead show the drama through the action alone. Personally, I like to see this, not as one-sided or a shame, but as an opportunity. You can show that the world your POV character is in is bigger than her and that she's not the only one with drama and conflict in her life, and you can give the reader a clear indication that she's not self-absorbed; she has others in her life that she's deeply invested in instead of viewing herself as a 'main character' that only cares about herself.

This is not an obstacle; this is a challenge.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Eichhorn147

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best