bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: "Stealing" jokes In one of my stories, I have a character who is a bit of a smart ass, always cracking jokes at the expense of others and sometimes even himself. I often get inspired by - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I think the real question here is why are you putting the jokes in. If you are trying to characterize someone, then the public domain is open to you. There are lots of jokes to steal. They might not be funny to the reader, but the reader will clearly recognize them as jokes. Using these jokes may make the character come off as lame. It helps if the other characters laugh and say that he is funny. Maybe you can also change the jokes around a bit to get a laugh.

The other reason for jokes is to make the book funny. If humor is one of your main promises of the writing then you can't steal jokes. Any reader that recognizes even one will groan and you will loose points. Even worse if the reader knows exactly where the joke came from. If you want to write a funny book, then you have to be original, there is just no getting around that.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Kaufman555

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best