bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Which should come first, building my story or building my world? I’ve always been writing, but never wanted to write something in a world I create. I already know what direction I’ll be - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I'm not sure if you will be able to find a "general consensus". That implies that someone has done a survey on a sample population at a specific point in time, and the people in that survey respond. Individual preferences become group patterns.

All I can say is, "some people" (no idea how many people) will probably say they prefer story-boarding and planning and outlining, and "some people" will probably say they prefer world-building, and "some people" will probably say that they prefer to do both at the same time.

If you have a basic idea of the setting, then the story outline should be easy. But if you do not have a basic idea of the setting, then think of it. World-build. Build a world. Once you have a world and a setting, you can create your outline. The fictional world may be derived from our world, or it may be derived from your imagination. But some kind of thought needs to go into it. If you don't know the setting, then how can you write about a realistic character? People are not born inside vacuums; they are influenced by their environments, and their environments influence them.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Cugini967

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best