bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Which should come first, building my story or building my world? I’ve always been writing, but never wanted to write something in a world I create. I already know what direction I’ll be - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Plot, character, and world are all an integral part of story.
You don't have a story, if you don't know who lives it and where it takes place. You may not know all the details when you first have the idea for a story, but you will certainly know in equally general terms who, where, and what happens.
From this first idea, the best approach is to
develop all aspects in parallel
You may want to work on the world for a while, or develop the characters in more detail, but a character lives in a place, and you cannot develop a character without knowing where he lives. So you will always be working on all three aspects of your story – plot, character, and world – at the same time, even if one of them is momentarily more in the foreground.
If you work on the world without considering plot and character at the same time, your story will lose its integrity.

Note how plot and story are not the same. Plot is the structure of the events. Story is what the reader reads.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Carla500

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best