bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Which should come first, building my story or building my world? I’ve always been writing, but never wanted to write something in a world I create. I already know what direction I’ll be - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

This is not really an easy question to answer. It mostly depends on your preferences. Both approaches have good pros and cons.

Building Story first:

The best pro on this is: Your setting is set. You have fleshed out the conflict, struggles and all the characters and everything else from start to end (in the best case). The Problem in this case is, that the prominent part of your world is safe and sound. But maybe it is lacking in the small details and charming parts, that make a world likable.

Building World first:

In this case you have the most of your world safe and sound. You have all the big and small areas fleshed out, you have set all the people in the world, most of the flora and fauna and the religious stuff too. Now you get to the story part and maybe your story don't match all the things you imagined. Maybe you have to cut the story on some parts or have to adjust it, just to match the world. Or you have to alter the world for the sake of the story.

As you see: It is always a decision, what is more important to yourself or what is easier for you. So it is first and foremost your decision of things you like or don't like

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Alves689

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best