bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: I feel like my book is too small and I’m kind of just throwing all my ideas out too quick. Does this mean filler might be necessary? My book seems like it’s going to be way too short. - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I think the thing that will help most is to find some way to outline your story so that you can see it laid out in front of you. That way you can see every piece of it and how it flows.

Now, I'm giving this advice with two assumptions 1. Assuming that the stuff you have is already well fleshed out- that there aren't any plot holes and everything is pretty well put-together. 2. Assuming that once you take a look you see that your story is either incomplete or could use some more scenes.
Once you have everything in front of you, take a look and see how the story flows.

How does the situation change for your protagonist?
Things start off all right. Do they get worse?
How much worse?
Is there a bright spot somewhere in the middle of the story?
Where's the point of of no return?
When does your hero decide to commit to their quest? (if that's applicable)
Questions like these may help you to think about your plot in Big-Picture format. How does your story fit together from beginning to end?

Once you know that through and through you can begin to make changes. You can add some scenes which push the plot forward. Put something in which digs your protagonist into trouble. It could be that your hero wasn't dug in very deep. If the problem isn't a hard one to solve, it won't take many pages to tell a story like that. I don't know anything about your story, so you'll have to judge that for yourself. In any case, I recommend doing some kind of outline to see what the problem is. That will certainly help you to see everything from a bird's-eye view and get a fresh perspective on your book.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @BetL639

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best