bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: What kind of protagonist or writing style is Jack Sparrow? I want to ask about a certain style on how to present a character. I know Jack Sparrow is from a movie (and I've only watched the - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Great answers from @Kirk and @Galastel . Just wanted to note a few things about Tricksters that you may find helpful.

In the first movie, Sparrow is primarily a Trickster. But he gets to wear different masks and change archetypes in the series. For instance, Sparrow mentors Will Turner about his father. As @Kirk noted, Sparrow serves the story in many capacities. According to the screenwriters (in the Blu-Ray commentary), the protagonist in the original Pirates of the Caribbean is Elizabeth Swann.

Generally, Tricksters don't arc. They arrive fully formed, and confidently thumb their noses at authority. That's why they can speak their minds and say funny things, because they frankly don't care about or don't fear repercussions.

The character arc, the inner journey, will happen to your protagonist who actually needs the seemingly random interference that the Trickster provides. So the Trickster serves your hero by shaking up their world or their world-view, and also serves your audience by relieving tension through comedy.

For most viewers, Sparrow is so captivating he just dominates those films. That's a tribute to Johnny Depp, the screenwriters, and to the Pirates of the Caribbean filmmakers.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Berumen699

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best