bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Should a non-native writer try to use complex English words? I am a non-native English user and whenever I write something is it better that I use simple words or some rare and seldomly used - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

When in doubt: K.I.S.S.

You received some very good answers already and sage advice, there is not much I can add, but here are my two cents as another non-native user.

In my opinion, writing in a pedantic, flowery, style, using obscure adjectives, is indicative of immaturity, it reeks of school essays and seldom successful attempts to impress the reader.

Some of the best writers in the world use easy language a simpleton could understand. I believe that simple child-like language comes from a total mastery of the language. While it may appear simple, a simple user or a child could never actually write like that, the writer has reached simplicity the other way around. A true wordsmith has nothing to prove anymore and uses the most economical, naturally occurring, vocabulary.

Moreover, even if perfectly used, obscure vocables can interrupt the reading flow as one stumbles upon seldom seen words, even if the reader has no need to go look for a dictionary. In novels, in particular, the aim is for the language used, the verbal medium, to disappear and ensnare the reader into the illusion of reality. That could not happen with "sophisticated" awkward words.

I agree with you that the average native speaker would not understand "precious" rarefied vocabulary. In my opinion, the average American has a vocabulary and educational level similar to a European pre-teen. You would be risking it if going above the middle grader or young adult level of literacy. (to American SE members, I mean no offense, this is just my opinion based on the few years I spent in the US)
An iconic example is the American editor´s decision to change the first Harry Potter title from the "Philosopher´s Stone" to the "Sorcerer´s Stone" because it was assumed the readers would not know what alchemy or a philosopher´s stone was and likely even what a philosopher was. Other native English users may be more literate but still, the majority of the population are only high school graduates and likely not very well educated.
On the other hand, the average American is not a reader, and most readers are above and beyond the average. So, really it depends on the audience you are targetting, and a clear image of said audience would help you write by mentally discoursing with them.

I think that even in academia or philosophy sophisticated language is a hindrance and an obstacle to clearly enunciating your thoughts, compare for instance the near obsfucation of Kant´s essays versus Plato´s clarity.

Finally, in my opinion, the only channel where one can safely play with recherché vocabulary is in poetry and even then, apportioned as a nebulously ethereal infinitesimal scintilla ("just a bit"... in real language :) ).

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Hamaas631

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best