bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How to adapt a comicstrip to a novel? Two years ago I pledged to publish my first comic. To do that, I had to learn drawing and learn to make comic strip. I came up with a title for my - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Any adaptation is perhaps best thought of as a new work inspired by the original. Different media has different strengths and weaknesses, and you won't produce good work by just copying from one medium to another.

Comic strips convey a lot through the visuals, and they have comparatively tiny amounts of writing as compared to a novel. My best advice to you would be to forget about the strip entirely, and to reimagine the same characters and overall plotline as if you had always planned it to be a novel. In this case, since no one experienced it as a comic strip, you have absolute freedom to revise it as much as you need to --no obsessive fan base to please. (As a side note, you may find it ends up as a short story instead --you'll be amazed how much less space something takes up as pure text than as a comic strip.)

At that point, you'll just be writing a novel, although with the advantage of having characters and settings you've already thought a lot about, and whose visual qualities you know well. (There is a lot of good advice elsewhere on this site for writing a novel, so I won't reiterate any of it here.)

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Kristi637

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best