bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Is this easter egg too obvious? In my book series (more on that here), I am planning on including a bunch of Easter eggs and subtle references to things as an added treat for the reader. - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I think this depends on the time period of your story; if somebody recognizes those names as Nirvana but your story is set in medieval times or a fantasy world, this could jerk them out of any immersion they are in, reminding them that the narrator isn't from that time and world, reminding them they are reading fiction and the characters aren't real.

That is not automatically entertaining for your readers. Once they are reading, they want to be immersed in the world and don't want any anachronisms or real-world references to interrupt that immersion. I will say the same about any other Easter Eggs you include. It depends on the world you have built.

If, indeed, your world setting includes the band Nirvana, great. If it doesn't, IMO you are making a mistake: This isn't "fun", it is an interruption.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Welton431

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best