bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: At what point is permission needed to reference meta-characters and works in my own? In this question it is mentioned that you can't use a character from another novel in your own novel. But - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I can't answer your question from a legal point of view --or even tell you whether your question itself is legal* (!) but I can offer an alternate approach: Create an in-universe version of the movie with a different name, and differently named characters. Many shows and stories do this very effectively, and have some fun with it at the same time. It also gives you the advantage of being able to tweak details to better suit your needs. For a couple of examples: Both Black Mirror's "USS Callister" and the movie Galaxy Quest revolve around transparent parodies of Star Trek, while Insecure and Dear White People have gotten good mileage out of versions of parodies of Scandal and Empire, respectively.

* It's a question about someone else's fictional characters getting into legal trouble for appropriating other other people's fictional characters.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Kevin153

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best