bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Can a book with a lot of action be annoying? I’m writing a book and these first 20 pages are mostly just action so my question is if a book is like mad max fury road, (almost nothing - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Long fighting scenes are most of the time boring.

There I said it... I know it is primarily opinion based but there is good reason to say this.
Part of it is because your story needs to be moving forward and a (too) long fighting scene prevents this from happening most of the time.

When I am reading the first pages of a story I first need a proper introduction to maincast of the story. This can be done with an action scene but if his motivation is not clear. I might not be so interested in his story. This could cause me to stop reading the story all together.

Another problem of an all action start is that I, as reader, will expect a climax that will top this start. You are making a promise of a lot more action in the story and when the story ends up to be a romance of some sort. I will be severely disappointed. This might cause me to stop reader anything you write in the future. So breaking that trust is not advisable.

So can a book with a lot of action be annoying? Yes.

But...

It can also be very good. It will depend on how you introduce your characters. Make their motivation interesting and make good to the promises you set.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Jessie137

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best