bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : What genre my wife is writing? In advance: I'm sorry for write so badly in English. I am a Spanish writer. My wife is writing a book about the life of 4 women. This morning she asked - selfpublishingguru.com

10.02% popularity

In advance: I'm sorry for write so badly in English. I am a Spanish writer.

My wife is writing a book about the life of 4 women. This morning she asked me about which genre her novel belongs to.

At first, I respond very quickly "literary fiction". But now, after talking about the way she has been orienting the scenes, I'm not so sure.

In general, she is writing about 4 women of different ages, living through different dramatics situations. The setting is contemporary, and the women are all between 25 and 45 years. Every character shows part of her life and her way to take the best decisions for her family, friends and for themself.

At the end, it is just a picture of the way that women live on our current times and society.

My question: which is this genre?

Load Full (2)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Kaufman555

2 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

Welcome to the community, Hedufigo.

It sounds to me as though your wife is clearly writing "Women's Fiction."

Women's fiction is an umbrella term for women centered books that
focus on women's life experience that are marketed to female readers,
and includes many mainstream novels. It is distinct from Women's
writing, which refers to literature written by (rather than promoted
to) women.

Edit:

I am not certain why this answer is being down voted.

Three hundred and eighty four literary agents (384) on AgentQuery self-identify as representing "Women's fiction" and it is clearly defined on many writer blogs, agencies, and so on. Barnes and Noble has an entire section for Women's Fiction. Many authors write Women's Fiction. In fact, there is a writer's association specifically for Women's Fiction.

If men want a "Men's Fiction" genre, the way to get it is not to say that "Women's Fiction" does not exist. That's veering quite close to mysogyny.

You can't simply say that something doesn't exist--when that thing has dedicated writers, agents, associations, awards, and so on and so forth.

This is beyond bizarre to me.

Original poster, your description is very clearly Women's Fiction,

And there are 384 agents that represent the sort of book your wife is writing. It is a recognized genre.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

Sounds like straight-forward contemporary adult fiction. Good luck to her!

Load Full (0)