bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Shots in a spec script? I'm writing a feature-length movie screenplay - well it's still at the story stage, so I haven't started to write the screenplay itself yet. I have been reading wordplayer - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

There are a couple of schools of thought about this. Some say that you can add camera directions for effect, some say never.

Personally, I would say be very careful about adding any sort of direction because it can be a very slippery slope. If you add it once, you'll be inclined to do it again. Start directing and you'll turn off your readers and alienate potential directors/actors. But only do it once and it'll probably feel out of place.

Ultimately, a director is going to make the final decisions about camera placement and angles, regardless of what you put in your script. Any camera angles you spell out in your script are going to be suggestions at best. You are better off convincing them that this bit is funny by showing in the action why it's funny.

I would say do your absolute best to try and describe the scene, sans POV. Describe the sky behind them, the way they are looking down, the darkness of the boot. Give it a few tries and let some other people read through it. If they understand what's going on, you've done it. If not, then you might need to fall back on straight POV. But at least you gave it your best.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Shanna875

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best