bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How can I indicate that a particular relationship between two male characters is purely brotherly (Philia) rather than romantic (Eros)? One of the four forms of love Greek philosophy recognised, - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I really don't understand why you have to point out anything at all.
As long as there is no clear indication of an erotic relationship, the non-prejudiced reader will not assume that there is one.
As a writer, you shouldn't try to write against the projections of those who see their preconceptions, desires, or fears in everything that they encounter, because that will irritate your other readers who then start to wonder why you negate something they didn't read into your text in the first place.
If, on the other hand, a majority of your beta readers think that you are building towards an erotic relationship, then you probably see your characters in that way and haven't become clear about their relationship yourself. You then need to do some more character development.
I clearly would never take extra precautions against being misunderstood by those who are out to misunderstand everything.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Speyer920

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best