bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Noble styles and forms of address Style is a manner of address, an honorific that comes with a noble title. For example, HM Elizabeth II is addressed "Your Majesty". In a fantasy setting that - selfpublishingguru.com

10.02% popularity

Style is a manner of address, an honorific that comes with a noble title. For example, HM Elizabeth II is addressed "Your Majesty".

In a fantasy setting that does not pretend to be Europe, I have chosen noble titles that are not "King", "Duke", "Earl", etc., but "Shah", "Vaspahr", "Sardar", etc.

Now I'm trying to understand, is it right for a Vaspahr to be addressed "Most Noble" and "Your Grace", or are those reserved to a British duke? Would those forms of address sound out of place when used with a non-European title, or are they standard?

Load Full (2)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Sent2472441

2 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

Noble forms of address were meant to be international. Royals married other royals, so majesty was not just for one House or nation.

There is some variation though, as the Prince of Monaco is Serene Highness.

My Lord and Sir are correct for many.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

If you're asking whether it's original, then don't use it. Make something up like noblest Vaspahr, or something of the sort. The titles that you are using aren't bad either, though. The titles that you are, what I think, are reserved for nobility. I don't think it's necessary for you to use these titles, but if you do then don't stress whether it sounds like it should be for a certain court or office. But, again, it's your story.

Load Full (0)