bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Many movies are starting to introduce black and female characters and even chubby characters, even in situations w[h]ere it doesn't make sense, because of the argument that the viewer - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Many movies are starting to introduce black and female characters and
even chubby characters, even in situations w[h]ere it doesn't make sense,
because of the argument that the viewer needs to relate to the
fictional/historical characters.

I'm going to attempt a frame challenge here, because I don't agree that the reason is always for the viewer to relate to the characters. The most relatable characters are characters with whom we can identify in terms of personality, decision-making, life experience, etc. However, that can often have little to do with their physical attributes, their race, gender, sexuality, etc. We can identify with those aspects, too, but not always for the same reasons.

Take the example of Star Wars, The Force Awakens. Two of the main characters are a black man and a white woman. However, it is a fantasy/Sci-fi setting and so the race and gender of the characters are never remotely relevant, and change nothing about themselves or the plot. A black person will not relate to Finn’s character because he shares some of the issues they face in their average lives. Same with a woman who sees Rey onscreen. They may be relatable for other reasons, but not specifically for their gender or race, sexuality or ability, etc.

What it does do, however, is simply represent diversity. Taking your example:

many people complain about how models, actors are damaging to society
because people can't identify with them.

The reason being that they don’t look like the average person, so the average person can’t see themselves in their shoes. It is easy to take for granted how many of the characters we see in film and television are unvaried: they are straight, cis, abled white men. And it’s easy to take for granted what it feels like to simply see people who look like you in your favourite characters and heroes. It makes you think, hey, that could be me! I could be awesome/badass/heroic, too. That is a powerful feeling, and that is what Finn and Rey represent for the little boys and girls watching Star Wars.

So, I argue that the reason diversity is included more and more these days is not because it makes the characters more relatable. Often, it doesn’t even factor into the character aside from in the physical. But it costs nothing, and it serves to empower many different groups of people who rarely get to see themselves on the screen. Not to mention, the real world is so much more colourful than TV and film have historically portrayed. It is simply reflecting the real world.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Courtney562

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best