bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How to avoid basing an autistic character too much upon myself? One of the characters in my current piece is autistic. I'm on the spectrum myself, so I have some idea of what this is like, - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

What differences are there? Have you given her interests that you do not have? Perhaps traits that you lack?

Does she have likes and dislikes different from your own?

You mention similarities, but she must have more to her than what you have mentioned.

Take some of your other traits and flip them, then give some to her. We all have similarities, it is our differences that most people notice. In facial recognition, our brain creates a template to compare with known faces and does a quick comparison, sometimes erroneously, to see if a person is a match. If a person is not a match, then we note the differences.

Maybe she has a boa constrictor at home and when she talks about boas a passerby might think she means a feather one, not a real one.

She sounds like an interesting character, just give her a bit more that is unique to her. It is natural for some aspect of ourselves to be in some aspect of our characters, but our characters ought to be creations of our intellect, not reflections of it.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Candy753

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best