bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: My kid's first story So, my 11-year son has just written his first literature work yesterday: A short fantasy story about werewolves in a forest chased by a group of courageous men. Half-full - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Assuming this isn't a school assignment, subject to a grade, I think your most effective approach right now is just to encourage him in his writing rather than trying to improve it. This is a good time and age to explore his creativity. When he becomes older and starts to have ambitions for his work, he will become more open to suggestions for making it better.

One of the reasons for this advice is that he is likely to have structured writing activities in school. He will be able to learn good writing habits there. Writing on his own at home is a good sign, and should be encouraged as a fun activity rather than a duty. It is all too easy to discourage a young child's creativity, even when that is not your intention.

It's also worth noting that styles and tastes change from generation to generation. It is possible that what appears as flaws to you will be approved and celebrated by his peers. Again, it might be different if this was aimed at publication, or a grade, but in this case I would reserve your critique unless he specifically asks for it.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Kevin153

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best