bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How to stay excited when writing about the necessary? I practice my writing skills by writing fan fiction. It's a great medium: no deadlines or word goals, and you get free feedback. The only - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I don't enjoy fan fiction, so I may be off-base here, but isn't part of the point that you AND your readers are already familiar with the background material? It must be as boring for your readers as for you to belabor things everyone knows. Why don't you just treat the non-original portions of your storyline as shared knowledge and just gloss over them? In other words, if you're writing Walking Dead fanfiction (just an example), you don't have to tell your audience what zombies are.

I'm also reminded of the old joke about the man who goes to the doctor and says "Doc, it hurts when I do this" (striking an unnatural pose). The doctor replies "Don't do that!" As I understand your question, you're creating original characters, and then running them through a pre-existing plotline, and it's boring you to tears. But you can't drop that plotline, because it's part of the game. I'm sorry to make this whole answer a Frame Challenge, but I don't know of any way to make you love creating a pointless rehash of someone else's creative efforts.

This is purely a box of your own making. If you want to write Twilight fan fiction minus the vampires, plus bondage, you can do that. If you want to write your fan-fic with lore that completely departs from the game, what's stopping you? Is the fan community going to rise up and smite you? Maybe, but probably not, especially if it's written well enough. There's someone very close to me, who I won't name, who devours "Richonne" fiction, and she doesn't seem to care even if it's set in outer space, as long as it's well written, and the main characters are named "Rick" and "Michonne."

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Sarah872

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best