bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Punctuation-Quote or Quote-Punctuation? I'm writing a document using the Chicago Manual of Style. I don't have access to the full guide, only to what's provided on-line. Now I wondering as to - selfpublishingguru.com

10.01% popularity

I'm writing a document using the Chicago Manual of Style. I don't have access to the full guide, only to what's provided on-line.
Now I wondering as to whether, in the main text itself, I should use the punctuation-quote or quote-punctuation sequence. For example:

"Blabla," more blabla.

and

"Babla." More blabla.

or

"Blabla", more blabla.

and

"Blabla". More blabla.

Also, does adding a footnote change anything to the sequence?

"Blabla,"² more blabla.

and

"Blabla",² more blabla.

The Chicago Manual of Style proposes, when citing sources in footnotes with regard to articles or parts of books, to use:

Joshua I. Weinstein, “The Market in Plato’s Republic,” Classical Philology 104 (2009): 440.

As you can see the comma is within the quote. I am ready to accept this for a title, but in a sentence of the main text, it looks odd to me.

What is your opinion in this regard?

Load Full (1)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Carla500

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

CMOS says periods and commas go inside. It doesn't make sense, to me, but that's the rule. Bear in mind that this does not apply to question or exclamation marks, which only go inside the quotation marks if they belong to the words being quoted.

There's a fairly interesting discussion on this, here.

Load Full (0)