bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How to write a fantasy novel? I want to write a fantasy novel. I have the story(Only the main conflict) but I'm unable to make any progress. My question is in novel writing what are all - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

With a fantasy novel in particular, a major component is worldbuilding. While you don't want to overindulge in it to the point of the story itself not being written, it's good to ask yourself two things with worldbuilding:

1: What consistent systems do I need to create to make this world seem authentic, yet separate from the real world?

2: What kind of rules/systems facilitate the story I want to tell?

For example, if you're writing high adventure, it's best to focus on creating an authentic, consistent magic system and monster bestiary so as to provide sufficient peril for your adventurers, but if you're writing a fantastic political intrigue novel, your focus should instead be on making a compelling political system.

Secondly, as well as planning out the plot, ask what themes you're hoping to explore with the story. Is it just an adventure with no strings attached? If so, it's probably better for young teens, as older readers tend to desire thematic depth. If you want to explore a theme, how are you going to use the characters and plot to explore this? If you're exploring loneliness in an uncaring world, you'd best make sure at least one of your cast struggles with loneliness, for example. As much as hack writers D&D insist that themes are for eighth-grade book reports, a themeless book is only really suitable for eighth-graders.

Thirdly, the cast. Characterisation, especially in a modern reader's market increasingly concerned with character-driven works (as opposed to antiquity's approach to stories as largely plot-driven), is nigh omni-important. As such, ask yourself who you want to write about. Does your protagonist(s) have friends? How do they interact with people day to day? Which characters are prominent enough to require a character arc and which characters are safe remaining static? How will the plot facilitate their development?

There's so much more to writing a fantasy, but these are the first questions I'd ask.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Tiffany377

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best