bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Do I quote the author or artist from a comic? MLA I'm kind of confused on how to quote a scene in a comic/graphic novel. I understand that if you are quoting something that a character said, - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

The MLA doesn't have a definitive statement on this. In an entry about citing speech bubbles from comics they show an example that includes only the author, but the book itself doesn't credit an artist on the cover so that doesn't help. I found several academic sites that give the same MLA guidance for comics, most of which only list the author and are silent about artists. I did, however, find guidance from Western Michigan University that says to include all collaborators (in order of importance of contribution). That page cites this article from an MLA-based comics style guide; the article is by Allen Ellis, Associate Professor of Library Services at Northern Kentucky University.

My conclusion is that MLA always and only requires the author, but it would not be wrong (and I think it is more honest) to include all credited major collaborators.

Even if you only use the author for in-text citations, I would use the more-inclusive citation in the bibliography.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Goswami879

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best