bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How to keep track of characters' location, within a longer narrative? I'm currently working on a piece which has characters coming and going. Basically, sometimes a side character is near the - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I use Aeon Timeline for that purpose. When I create an event in the timeline, I determine where the event happens and who is involved. I can then choose to view all the events in a given place (and see who was involved) or to see all the events where a given character was present. It is also possible to attribute colours to events, so you could color code either for characters or places and be able to get a feel for who is where with a single look.

However, you do have to create the events yourself, unless you use Scrivener and use the Sync tool.

Another thing I use is schematics / drawings if it's a matter of one or two scenes. Once I wrote a scene which involved about 20 people in a room. I made a scheme of the room (and its features) then located all the characters, as well as whether they were sitting or standing and who was having parallel conversations with whom. Half-way, a few people left and returned to occupy different places so I copied the first diagram and noted the changes.

The scheme is also useful if it spans a house (or palace, as it is my case). If it spans a country, I'd suggest an A3 map with the places your characters frequent (or several copies of it). Then add a manual time and chapter/scene stamp at the top and jot down where everyone is. If you're like me and never recall how long it takes to travel from A to B, you can add arrows with the travelling times.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @LarsenBagley300

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best