bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How can I indicate a magical compulsion to protect someone without truly disclosing it? One of the characters in my book feels the need to protect a woman she barely knows and later on it - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Diana Wynne Jones did this (quite well) in The Merlin Conspiracy. The reveal, near the end of the story, was quite effective.

I would challenge the idea that you need to hint directly to your audience why a servant feels a particular compulsion to protect her mistress (or her master's child, or whatever connection there is). Rather, have your protector-character rationalize her extraordinary actions to herself. ("This is my duty as a servant. Sure, I'm not normally big on duty, but... She just couldn't make it without me.") The more obviously false the rationalizations, the less unnatural it will seem to the reader when it turns out there was a magical compulsion in play. ("Okay, she stepped up and solved that problem without me, but I'm SURE she needs my help most of the time; she's high-born and can't handle things like...")

People in general often act first and then explain to themselves why they are doing what they're doing - attempting to impose reasonable motives on possibly unreasonable behavior. Interesting story tensions arise when it becomes difficult or impossible for a character to maintain their false self-narrative regarding their behavior.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Angela458

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best