bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Should I change my method of indicating internal monologue (parenthesis) to something more conventional? I am writing a fantasy novella that ends up using a lot of internal monologues, often mixed - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Parentheses have a purpose, which is usually not to indicate internal monologue. They are used as asides and can be a method of breaking the fourth wall. They are generally intended to include information that will clarify a sentence but are rarely sentences themselves. This is an interesting choice, but might not be necessary.

I trust the reader to realize when a character is thinking something as opposed to saying it.

The long blades of wild grass rustled as Yoshida sat up, his eyes flying open. A realization dawned on him as he looked at his surroundings. A forest? Wasn’t I just in my office in Tokyo?

I would understand that the character is thinking that - even without the realization dawning phrase.

If you must differentiate the thoughts, italics are clear and the simple font change is not going to signal anything beyond this is different. Parentheses will signal something other than you intend and could be distracting.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Candy753

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best