bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: What chapter timestamp to use in fantasy time travel novel? (By 'chapter timestamp' I mean the text at the beginning of a chapter indicating when it is taking place). Here is a basic summary - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I think this sounds like a strong concept for a book I would like to read. But I also think your question is disguising a deeper issue --your prologue is giving away things you seem to want to keep hidden. If a character is considering time travel, and then everything is suddenly different, most readers of speculative fiction will connect the dots right away.

If you want the alternate timeline to be a gradual, unexpected discovery, drop the prologue, and let the reader discover it along with Ryan. On the other hand, if you want to put all your cards on the table at the start, keep the prologue, and clearly label the alternate timeline as such (for example "2025 AD, Timeline 2").

Personally, I think the former approach is stronger, but it depends on your aims. Either way, remember the iceberg theory, it's important for you to know more than you tell the reader.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Kevin153

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best