bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How best to have a conversation a character does not overhear? I have a scenario where my main character, who has considerable training and situational awareness has been captured. He has faith - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Possibility A: You can have several chapters from another perspective. Give this some thought. Really imagine how it might add to your story, especially if you don't yet have a compelling subplot.

You don't need more than a few chapters from this other perspective--one early on, showing the normal world/goal of that character, one before this scene probably, so the reader is used to the second point of view, and then one in which this conversation happens. I think this is easiest, and best, because you can do it from the uncle's perspective or the nephew's--and each of them definitely have their own arc in this story. It could enrich your story to add this POV.

Possibility B: You can world-build in an amnesiac of some sort. Your character hears the conversation, and then is rendered unknowing to the information by his captors. You can play with this so that the amnesiac they give him is partial and he is able to piece the information together over a time frame of your choosing.

Possibility C: He hears it and refutes it out of hand. Couch the information in lies, lies, and more damn lies. We know they are lies, the character knows they are lies, and so this particular truth is not accepted by us or the MC. He listens anyway, because clearly the conversation involves the psychiatrist.

That's all i got right now.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @LarsenBagley300

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best