bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How best to have a conversation a character does not overhear? I have a scenario where my main character, who has considerable training and situational awareness has been captured. He has faith - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

You're already on the right track in that you recognize that you can't make your character bend to fit the more convenient plot.

When a character's natural decisions would take the story in a direction you don't want it to go, add external influences that change the choices they make

In your case, your character's natural reaction to this conversation is to listen to it in its entirety. Rather than trying to justify a deviation from that, instead add an external force which prevents the character from listening in as they naturally would.

Maybe there's a guard in the room who is fond of tazing your protagonist whenever they are distracted. Or the protagonist's allies are breaking in, and the protagonist needs to make noise to cover for their invasion. Or they're drugged up to the gills and can only focus for brief periods at a time.

Brainstorm for a while, and write down every ridiculous idea you come up with (and I do mean every idea). After 5-10 minutes, go over your list to see if anything you've written down is salvageable into an actual plot point.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Sue2132873

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best