bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How best to have a conversation a character does not overhear? I have a scenario where my main character, who has considerable training and situational awareness has been captured. He has faith - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

He simply doesn't hear them for whatever reason.

This is more of a scenario from my real life that happens all the time. My wife and I live in a tiny apartment and have two toddlers. Despite the fact that the apartment is so small, sound passing between the living room and any other room in the apartment is greatly diminished simply because of the layout. If My wife says something from the living room and I am in the kitchen, bathroom, or our girls bedroom, I have to literally go to the doorway for it to sound intelligible. This gets worse if we have the air on because the intake is in the living room and very loud. Mix in a screaming toddler and we have to regularly ask each other to repeat whatever we just said.

The fact that it actually takes effort to have conversation in this space means that someone not directly listening is likely to completely miss large parts of what is said. You could just as easily create just a scenario. I imagine you already have an idea of where your MC is being held, but you can add something to the environment to cause exactly this. A loud fan, someone yelling in the hall, room acoustics are all valid reasons he simply didn't hear the whole conversation.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Eichhorn147

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best