bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Should I be myself and write what I really want even though it isn't getting much traction? Or should I dumb down my writing and pander to what I think most people like to read? (Note: This - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Do you think teenage girls are too stupid to know when they're being pandered to?

Do you think publishers of young adult fiction would not notice that an author is not familiar with the genre and looks down on it?

If you are familiar with more than one genre and good at it then, sure, you might want to focus your attention on writing a book in the genre more likely to sell well, even if it's not your first choice. That could give you enough cache to publish the books you prefer to write later on.

As someone who is actually writing a young adult (middle-grade) novel employing magical realism and lots of strong female characters because I want to and love the genre, your question makes my skin crawl.

Write what makes you happy. Write what you can do well. Make choices to increase the likelihood of being published or to increase sales after publications but stay within the works you can do well and enjoy.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Karen856

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best