logo selfpublishingguru.com

topic : Re: Should we add a character in a story for realistic effect? In my novel, the protagonist is divorced and moves from London to another city in Britain. The setting is 2013. The protagonist

Gail2416123 @Gail2416123

Leave them out

You don't seem to want to write about or develop the doctor and they don't seem to have much value to you. If that is the case then you should probably leave them out. The simplest way to do that is simply have the MC think/talk about their sessions with their psychiatrist without ever writing about the sessions directly.

However two other things to consider:

I reject the idea that everyone in 2013 with mental health issues goes to see a psychiatrist. Treating mental health is not at all ubiquitous and it is certainly not a matter of course. Plenty of people live with depression without seeking professional help. If you are having your MC go to a doctor because you think it implausible that someone wouldn't or because you just want to fill some space then reconsider it entirely. (Note: I am not suggesting that people shouldn't seek mental health services, simply that they often don't.)
Conversely, I also challenge you to consider using the doctor if you think you can do something with them. Developing a character that the MC interacts with in a way that is compartmentalized from their other interactions could prove valuable. It provides you with a vehicle for exposition as the MC discusses their life. It provides a way of presenting the MC with altering viewpoints. The obvious downside is as you noted: You need to develop the character.

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

SelfPubGuruLearn self publishing
Back to top | Use Dark Theme