bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How best to recover from catastrophic text loss? This morning I had an accidental select all delete followed by auto save, which prevented me from just hitting undo. My novel became an empty - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

This is a non-literary, non-writing answer. If you really want to recover the original, do as little as possible on your computer, and use what activity you do perform to download a file recovery tool. When you delete a file in MS-DOS, the only thing that happens is that the file name in the directory replaces the first character with a special, non-printable character. That's it. All subsequent file writes look in the directory and determine that the file has been deleted, so they use that disk space as they wish. Until another file overwrites the original, it is perfectly recoverable. How long it will take until this happens is a much more complicated subject.

And yeah, in the future you should make backups regularly. No matter how much of a pain in the butt it seems.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Courtney562

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best