bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Many resources in one sentence: how to use references? So can I write like this: Example: Exercising (Goodman, J. 2010), laughing (Wilson, A. 2009) and studying (Mann, 2000) have all health - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I agree with Cyn's answer. All I'd add is if you're worried about such sentences' clunkiness you can do three things:

Say what the list is about before presenting the list;
If this is likely to be an issue in multiple sentences, or a serious issue in at least one, consider a reference-as-number format if your publication context permits it (though conventions may be such as to not);
Make general improvements to the rest of the sentence, such as using further gerunds. (These "improvements" are not in the sense of grammatical "correctness" - everything you're likely to otherwise do would also be grammatically correct - but to make life easier for the reader.)

Assuming sources 1-3 are applicable, we'd get something like:

Documented sources of health benefits that may increase life
expectancy include exercise [1], laughter [2] and studying [3].

I thought about using studies instead, but for whatever subjective reason I felt it wiser to allow myself a single gerund there. It may have been because "studies" could make it sound like I meant acts of scientific research.

Obviously, if the sources are footnoted we'd write a subscripted 1 instead of [1] etc.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Phylliss352

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best