bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Some sort of writer I'm some sort of writer. if I start writing short paras it is ok. if I start writing poetry I kill it too. I'm a software engineer by profession, but I'm too confused - selfpublishingguru.com

10.02% popularity

I'm some sort of writer. if I start writing short paras it is ok. if I start writing poetry I kill it too. I'm a software engineer by profession, but I'm too confused about my passion. What should I do?

Load Full (2)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Murray165

2 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

To be a passionate writer, you need to be a passionate reader.

Reading across genres and reading levels will expose you to a multitude of writing styles. When I started out as a writer at the age of about 8, I developed my style by emulating the styles of my favorite authors. In time, I assimilated mannerisms that I saw and enjoyed and began to experiment with new things, like repetition and figurative language. Emulation is not plagiarism, and can help you develop your writing skills.

Once you have found a style that you like and that works with your writing, you have to seek out criticism. Peer reviews and writing groups where you have to share your writing can be really nerve-wracking, but getting outside influence will improve both your self-esteem in regards to your writing and your writing itself. Knowing whether or not the ideas, themes, and plot lines of your pieces are clear to readers is very important, and only editing by yourself can make you overlook critical mistakes or flaws within your writing.

Practicing daily and constantly and consistently reaching out to others for constructive criticism will make you a better and more confident writer, and will help you find the genre of writing that you are most passionate about.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

Show your writing to someone else to read, to get an idea of what they think. Join a writing group where you learn about writing. The teacher can comment on your writing, whether it is a good as you think it is.

Load Full (0)