bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How can I make my character sound Scottish? Yes, you read the title correctly. It sounds sorta ridiculous, but I'm wondering how I can make my Scottish character in a story of mine sound more - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

The most important thing to consider is this: why the writing must portray the Scottish accent. Scottish spelling is not the same as English spelling, so English speakers may get confused if the author consistently uses Scottish spellings and words. Scots English is English with a Scottish accent, and this may include code-switching between English and Scottish. If your reader is an English speaker, then looking up every word of Scottish origin gets very annoying. Some authors do sprinkle in foreign words or unusual slang terms for authenticity, but authenticity in writing is limited. If the spoken Scottish is completely irrelevant to the plot, then the author can just focus on the main story and imagine that the character is speaking in Scottish or Scots English. The author just has to mimic Scottish or Scots English in writing, if that is relevant to the plot. For example, if another character misunderstands what the Scottish character says, then the Scottish character may repeat what he says in English or use the usual English equivalent of the term.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Fox6458700

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best